Board Meeting Minutes April 2, 2017

Prince George’s Swimming Pool, Inc.
Board Meeting
MINUTES: April 2, 2017
 
Present: DJ Nolan, Chris Gowen, Marvin Russell, Mary Melchior, Chuck Thies, Mic Byrne, Colin Strauss Riggs, Abebi Wolfe, Liz Duffy, Chris Goff, Meredith Massey, Dave McCandlish, Dennis Alexander
Apologies: 
Absent: Andrew Farrington, Stacy Smith.
 
Committees
MMA
Monkey bars look to be $5-6K, need to extend playground, still don’t have a firm bid.
Meeting with city to talk basic maintenance issue.
Need to work on way to streamlining cash loading onto PG Pool Buck cards
Will develop co-op job to track transactions on daily/weekly basis
Need to limit access to log-ins to PG Pool Buck System
Hiring fewer gate guards this year, “professionalizing” the job.
 
Old Business
Conflict of interest policy for approval (see attached document)
Gowen has some edits, took some questions, will work with DJ to get into final shape. Board members must sign and disclose by opening day of pool, annually. May go to an email vote.
 
New Business
Swim Team – refunds and swim-team only memberships
Helen S. put together break-even budget (without including Swimathon) with a swim team membership fee, to cover costs, including wages. Also includes money for updated software for swim teams. Swimathon could be held, proceeds used for something beyond every day costs. Also wanted to make clear guidelines with requirements, making sure parents aren’t using child way into the pool. Also looking into bulkhead for making pool “regulation”
Swim team membership $89/$145 + $25 handling fee
Guardian may accompany swimmer to practice
Additional family members may accompany for guest fee
Swimmers must pass swim test.
Swimmer required to swim in at least 2 meets (will ask availability in beginning of season, will follow up in week 3 if meets have not been attended).
If guardian will be accompanying swimmer to pool, the guardian is required to take swim team seasonal jobs.
Violations of rules will result in not being allowed to purchase swim team-only membership in the following years.
Swim team-only memberships will only be offered when there is a waiting list
Board approves unanimously
 
FYI re Local Elections
Mt. Rainier elections coming up, pool member running. 
Memorializing PJ
Husband Ted would like to plant a tree in her honor at the pool. Will have to discuss placement, but not an issue. Looking at a white oak tree, may want to consider one without acorns. 
Board Training
Proposal for Board training from Strive Consulting. (Proposal distributed at meeting.)
Training proposed for May 7 or May 21, price of $850.00 for 6 hours.
Looking to both professionalize the board, developing competencies for a diverse membership. 
Need to examine unique circumstances of the board in the fact that we are also dealing with members, neighbors. Pre-planning on our end would be useful in helping us focus the agenda.
Need to look into this.
 
Next Steps for the Next Meeting
Meredith will take pictures for bulletin board.
 
Future Agenda Items
 
Next Meetings: 5/7: 4 – 5:30 PM
 
Workdays: April 2, April 8, April 15, April 29/30, May 6/7, May 13, May 20/21, May 27