Board Meeting Minutes February 12, 2017

Prince George’s Swimming Pool, Inc.

Board Meeting

MINUTES: February 12, 2017

 

Present: DJ Nolan, Chris Gowen, Marvin Russell, Liz Duffy, Andrew Farrington, Stacy Smith, Chuck Thies, Colin Strauss Riggs, Mic Byrne, Dennis Alexander, Chris Goff.

Apologies: Meredith Massey, Dave McCandlish, Abebi Wolfe, Mary Melchior.

Absent

 

MMA

·         UMD department party on 9/16: The treasurer has invoiced them for $225. Paid

·         Proposed edits to the last minutes: “For next season, Lighthouse will:” not close bathrooms for cleaning until the grounds are closed (9:00/11:00 pm): KEEPING AS IS WITH CLOSING BATHROOMS AT 8:45. & Individual “Board members may not extend hours in any circumstances past our regularly scheduled hours” without consent of the full board. 

·         Problems with some members’ compliance with the requirement that all those in a membership share plumbing. DJN and Dennis to write to offending parties.

 

o   Mic: floors: TO BE FIXED BEFORE SEASON TBD @ 4/1/17 (MATERIALS ISSUE, MAY NEED TO SWITCH CONTRACTORS) MAY NEED TO BE REIMBURSED FOR MATS BECAUSE THE ISSUE WAS NOT RESOLVED LAST SEASON. locks/self-closing gates: ALL ADJUSTED parking lot; QUOTE FOR THE LOT $88,000 + $8000 CONTINGENCY– STRUCTURAL ISSUES TO BE DEALT WITH. MOST ALLOCATED FOR EXISTING LOT: GRADING, PAVING, CUTS TO THE RAIN GARDEN, CURBS. ESTIMATE <$20,000 CIVIL ENGINEERING FOR STORMWATER RUN-OFF, PERMITTING, DRAINAGE. MAY BE ABLE TO GET A GRANT TO BUILD RAIN GARDEN ON PARK SIDE OF LOT, BUILD AS CO-OP PROJECT. FINANCING WITH PNC: CAN GET LOAN, MAY WANT US TO PAY OFF PRIOR LOAN ($37,000) BEFORE BORROWING ~$100,000 FOR PARKING LOT.

o   DJ: tables, 6 NEW ALL WEATHER TABLES ORDERED, PLUS NEW CHAIRS toddler pumphouse, REPLACED. fence/gate work, chairs, loungers GETTING FIXED, lane lines ON SITE, school NON-RESPONSIVE, towing contract CHECKING, POSSIBLY USE COMPANY USED BY APARTMENTS; parking lot contract; city re the height of shrubs in new beds CHECKING WITH CITY; Swim lessons for nonmembers – only at non-key hours. DJN to contact proposer with caveats re board’s decision for June and July 2017; playground inspection COMING IN SPRING FOR SAFETY EXPRESSION, LOOKING TO ADD MONKEY BARS. ORDERING NEW SHADE SAIL AFTER BEING VANDALIZED, WILL COST $1,600.

o   Stacy: Board training;

o   Chris Gowen: Insurance policy: ALL GOOD FOR 2017, COVERAGE FOR PAVILLION, INCREASED COVERAGE FOR POOLHOUSE, INCREASED ~$1,500; Bocce/Shuffleboard placement: COULD REPLACE HORSESHOE PIT WITH SAND BOCCE. BECAUSE IT’S IN AREA FOR LEVEE IMPROVEMENT, DON’T WANT TO GO BIG BEFORE THAT IMPROVEMENT (CAN MAKE IT FOR BOTH HORSESHOES AND BOCCE). CO-OP OPPORTUNITY. SHUFFLEBOARD: $1500 TO PUT ON SOUTHSIDE (RIVIERA) OF THE POOL DECK. 15’X6.5’, SQUARES THAT IS REMOVABLE, CAN BE LAID UPON CONCRETE. +$300 FOR EXTRA SHUFFLEBOARD SET (NOT INCLUDED IN INITIAL $1500). WILL EXAMINE SHUFFLEBOARD MATERIALS BEFORE COMMITTING.

o   DMc: Xmas lights; DO A COUPLE OF TREES FIRST, SEE HOW IT LOOKS. ($150-200/TREE, OUTDOOR LIGHTS 100’ WITH BULBS). CHECK COSTCO FOR CHEAPER OPTIONS. GO AHEAD AND DO 2 TREES.

o   Abebi: food trucks; WE WILL HAVE DANGEROUSLY DELICIOUS PIES. GOWEN: NEED TO REVISIT IF WE CAN/WILL GUARANTEE ($500) FOR A RESERVATION (GIVEN NO-SHOWS). PUT ON NEXT AGENDA

o   ??? Sand and recover guard chairs; GUARD CHAIRS ARE COOL. BUT NEED TO SMOOTH, SAND, AND COVER (WITH CARPET) SEATS. BRUCE CAN LOOK INTO, DJ WILL TALK TO.

 

Agenda

·         Finances/Budget/Tax Return:

A few formatting requests for the budget, can be resolved in Finance Committee.
Our current accountant failed to file taxes on time in 2015. Sent them an angry letter, accountant agreed to pay fines. Filing extension for 2016 taxes – need to follow up to make sure this happens on 2/13. Pay $550: do we want to switch accountants based on the screw up? Pay a member for tax filing?

·         Membership Opening Process & Timing
Open on 3/15, one month for registration, then to waiting list. No other changes.

·         Workdays
Will send out list of workdays in the next couple of weeks. Capped at 25 people/workday. Will increase number of in-season jobs that count for co-op hours. (helping with parking passes, loading pg buck cards). Are talking to Lighthouse about having fewer gateguards, will need to prep for blowback. Andrew volunteers to help run work days

·         Parking
Do we need to change parking pass policies? No.

MNCPPCP parking signs on our property. No lawyer letters. New city manager wants to work with pool more amicably, should deal directly. Write letter directly, ask about signs. Confident we can make school parking happen.

Change colors of pass.

If parked overnight during pool season, no one should be towed if they have a parking pass.

Administrative changes at school appear to be behind non-responsiveness.

·         Contract changes for 2017: Gate guard for morning swim? Don’t need one; Opening times in the early season and later in August?; restricting day-time hours when school in session? i.e. just toddler swim until 12, main pool closed until later (2 PM?) during school season. PGPS June 8, DCPS June 14, for “summer hours”. Will explore for next meeting Extra hours before holidays. Sundays before holidays, evening before July 4th are Saturday hours.

·         Codify instances when a membership may be split: grown children; divorce/separation; people moving out from shared rented or owned accommodation. Others? Policy will require proactive assertion of membership rights and responsibilities, including fees. DJ will draft specific language, will approve next meeting

·         Swim lessons
Swim lessons to waitlist people? With Aleja, during off hours from mid-June for six weeks.

 

Finance

·         The Treasurer presented a draft budget.
For most of budget, flat-budgeted, increased spending for a few minor items. Need to approve draft budget. Dennis moves, Goff second. Budget passed unanimously. Thank you Marvin for the work of putting it together.

Capital Improvements/ Physical Plant

Board

Membership

Management

Next Steps for the Next Meeting

 

Future Agenda Items

·         Conflict of interest policy for approval

·         Ask Helen and Liz to attend next board meeting

·         Have we solved problem of charging system where PG Bucks get loaded, but not paid for?

·         Parking pass enforcement

·         Early June: check back with morning lap swimmers to document unauthorized people at lap swim, revisit morning gate guard session

·         Mid-July: Review nonmember swim lesson program

·         Restricted hours during school year

·         Workday List

·         Approval of split membership language

·         Babysitter fee

 

FYI: Correspondence

 

Requests for Passes for School Auctions: Friends Community School; Capitol Hill Cluster School; School Within School; School Without Walls; Yu Ying; Inspired Teaching; University Park Elementary School; Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan; Maury Elementary; Christian Family Montessori School; Stokes; Two Rivers

 

Correspondence also from: ClaudiaF and HowieS.

 

Next Meetings:  3/5, & 4/2 from 4-5:30.