Board Meeting Minutes July 11th, 2013

Prince George’s Swimming Pool, Inc.
Board Meeting
MINUTES: July 11, 2013

Present: Mary Melchior, Pat Houston, Chuck Thies, Stacy Smith, Andrew Farrington, Chris Gowen, Tanya Renne, Chris Goff, DJ Nolan, Colin Strauss-Riggs.
Apologies: David McCandlish, Dave DeRosa, Don Stewart, Emily Wurth.
Absent:
Also Attending: Mic Byrne. (Michelle Vassallo was invited but unable to make it.)

MMA
• Payment from the apartment complex for the use of the car lot? – Arrived. They should pay upfront in the fall. ​MM/DMc
• Fence improvements: Need Metropolitan to come back to do the southwest corner and fix the fence/gates around the toddler pool and a stray unmoored post into the guard area. ​CT
• Driveway Improvement and new handicapped spot. DJ to liaise with contractor. ​DJN
• Slide is onsite. DMc to arrange water fix.
• Dave M. will work on a party form and talk to Tanya and the party volunteer, Ginger. ​DMc
• Business Plan Needed. ​Board
• Co-op: Shoppers. We need more volunteers. ​CS-R/Newsletter
• Howie's proposal re propane. Heard nothing. Investigate co-op taxi. ​Volunteer
• Gutters still need work. We will add another downspout and direct it towards the street. DJN
• Lights over the volleyball court. Still waiting delivery of new unit. ​DJN
• The Save the Children fundraiser made ~$300. ​Noted

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Board

• Board Additions/Plans for 2014
o Mic Byrne and Michelle Vassallo have expressed an interest in joining the board.
o DJ and Tanya said they were considering leaving the board. All those who were not at the meeting said they were happy to continue. ​ Noted
• Review Composting (There was a fire in one of the bins this AM). The board decided to end this practice at the end of July. It is expensive and not environmentally friendly. We are happy to examine other options in the future. DJ will speak with Jim Groves. ​DJN
• The board decided to allow adults to use the slide during adult swim. Newsletter. ​DJN

Capital Improvements

• Playground proposals. The board reviewed three proposals for a playground, plus another from Tanya. Option three from Shivali Shah was accepted as a possible. Tanya and Mic will liaise and see which of those two works best for a meeting in August. ​Tanya/Mic

Communications

• Mary raised a problem about security around food trucks. We will ask people not to use the gate as an entryway or exit. Newsletter. ​DJN
Co-op

• Tanya’s New List of Jobs. Noted. This will be advertised in a newsletter after we direct the existing people who do some of these tasks to allow them to have first refusal to continue to do them. Newsletter. ​DJN

Events

Finance

• Financial Report: Noted

Grounds

Membership

• Water gun usage. WWIII has broken out. Newsletter. ​DJN

Physical Plant

• Toilet Paper Holders – we should replace all the smaller holders with the big ones. How many do we need? ​AF
• Coffee urn purchased. ​DJN
• Lighting​DJN/Brian
• Repair Tables – I have a member who volunteered to do this.​DJN
• Replace roof on wading pool pump house. Greg Smith will lead this project.
• Lockers – some of the top pieces need to be attached. We have volunteers.​DJN
• Replace outlet by the soda fridge/Complete installation of a new outlet near fire pit/Repair the shutter in the guardhouse/complete removal of old lights and reconfigure switches for new lights Brian/DJN
• Paint men’s changing area. Preseason 2014.
• Replace door on tool shed and install a proper lock on the office. All four locks should have the same key. Brian?
• Should we put up a trophy cabinet?
• We need more lounge chairs and /umbrellas. We will ask Bruce about the former and price the latter. ​Stacy/AN Other

Pool Management

• Swim Lessons: We are having significant problems with one of the swim lesson instructors. Stacy is to speak with the instructor about taking group lessons off the diving board, obstructing an entire lap lane and her attitude towards board requests. ​Stacy
• Management Update: We are due a Labor Report (next meeting). Bruce is showing up more and the managers are working well. An initial problem with guests not being logged in has been improved significantly. ​Stacy​

Welcoming

Future Meetings

• Meeting Dates: We will meet on every second Thursday during the season: 7/25, 8/8 & 22.
• Future Agenda Items:
o We need to develop a procedure for guests staying past toddler swim hours.
o July: Further Loan Repayment
o Snack Bar for 2014
o Children of current members becoming members in their own right
o Some memberships include a parent as a babysitter. We will monitor and reassess this loophole at the end of the season.
o The board will discourage payment by check in the future, probably by imposing a surcharge on such payments.
o Ice cream prices in 2014.
o Adverse Possession
o Co-op Fee Changes? – Removal of co-op fees for those over 70 and for those who are away for the year (End-of-season meeting)/ New rule proposal. No party reservations on Holidays.